Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Thinking of Christchurch :(

Myke and I are feeling very saddened to hear about the earthquake in Christchurch, NZ.  We lived and worked in that city for 4 months during our round-the-world trip in 2006/07 so it holds a special place in hearts. It's devastating to hear that the death toll keeps rising and to see all the images of the city in shambles.  Luckily, we have gotten in contact with most of the Kiwi friends we have there and they are all doing OK--their houses may be damaged, but they have survived, so that is great news!  I'm now left wondering about my old co-workers at both the restaurant and offices where I worked.  The New Zealand Post office building was a pretty tall building and while I was there I worked on (I think) the 8th floor...so pretty high up.  I hope that building was strong enough to withstand the quake.

A few photos from our trip:  

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarahmyke/sets/72157594274515201/with/237435083


Also, seeing the Chch Cathedral all broken apart is really depressing/shocking--it is an icon of the city.  Right in the center of the downtown square.

No comments:

Post a Comment