Tuesday, February 22, 2011

26 Weeks!! 6 1/2 months!

Just a quick post because I'm feeling really tired right now and want to close my eyes.  As of Sunday, I'm 26 weeks along (6 1/2 months)!  26 weeks is a big step because the survival rate for babies born at this time jumps significantly from only a couple weeks before.  28 weeks is even better!  It's amazing how much growth and development takes place during the 22-28 week period.  My doctor says that is precisely why IF he is going to put someone on bed rest at all that it is most often during this chunk of time.  He feels that starting bed rest after 28 weeks is "old school" thought and theory.

According to the UCSD NICU:

Up until 21 weeks: 0% survival rate

at 22 weeks: 0-10% survival rate

at 23 weeks: 10-35% survival rate

at 24 weeks: 50% survival rate

at 26 weeks: 75% survival rate

at 28 weeks: greater than 90% survival rate



I had Myke take a quick photo this weekend of the side view belly shot.  Don't worry, I was only standing for about 10 seconds total.  (I've had a few people voice concerns about me sitting up in the photos on a couple of the previous posts--but I promise that I'm laying down 99% of the day...I sat up to open a couple gifts and to take the photo and that was it!)  Pics below (wore the same shirt as last pics for comparison):


26 weeks


In the photo I don't think I really look that much bigger than 2 weeks ago--so why do I feel so much bigger?!  

Tomorrow morning is my growth scan.  They will do a detailed ultrasound to measure the babies, check their hearts, etc.  It's basically the same as the detailed anatomy scan that all pregnant woman get done around 18-20 weeks--but with twins you have them done every 4 weeks (at least at UCSD this is how they roll).  I'm really curious as to how much they each weigh now--as that is a bigger factor than gestational age for survival rates outside the womb.  I'm hoping they are big boys!!  

I'm also EXTREMELY eager to find out the cervical length tomorrow.  I'm going to ask them to do it that first thing so I don't have to wait in anticipation.  So much is riding on that .7 of a centimeter!  I really don't want to be put in the hospital!  Please send prayers for my cervix!  Lol :)


1 comment:

  1. Those babies are growing! You do look bigger but you look great! Bed rest does you well. :-)

    ReplyDelete