Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 2 Home Bed Rest

Day 5 of bed rest, day 2 of home bed rest.  We are all taking it hour by hour.  Yesterday draggggged out.  I finally came downstairs after Chloë's nap to get a change of scenery.  For those who don't know, we live in a 3 level townhouse.  The front door, kitchen and main living space are all on the bottom level, Chloë's room and an extra room are on the 2nd level, and Myke and my room is on the 3rd level.  I'm definitely not supposed to do the stairs multiple times per day and according to my DR it's my choice if I want to do the stairs maybe once per day, more for my mental state than anything else.

I had a DR appointment this morning.  They did a cervix measurement via ultrasound while at least and then a measurement while I "lifted" something...this basically simulated what the cervix would do if I walked around, picked something up, etc.  Sure enough, the cervix shortened significantly within just a few seconds.  The DR said this just verifies what he already thought, that I have a "fragile" cervix and that obviously the less I move, the better.  So bed rest it is.  It shortened to 1.8cm during the "lifting" measurement.  Down from 2.3cm (or so) when "resting".  Doctors don't like anything under 3cm to begin with.  So here I am.  I'm still allowed to stay at home for now as long as I behave myself.  I'll go back next Thursday for another appointment/measurement.  That will be the next time I leave the house. Crazy to wrap my head around this.  I just keep telling myself that it's not about me.  It's about the babies.  Every single day that the babies stay in the womb is better than the last.  My DR talks about my next goal being 28 weeks--he says we can relax a bit more at that point.  I just hope I can keep myself sane during this time!  (On a positive note, there are people who last months on a very short cervix.  It may drop to 1cm and just stay there, holding out until the babies are term...so there is hope for sure...it's just that no one knows the future, of course)

We're very lucky to have the support system that we have.  Our friend Heather is here now and will be taking care of Chloë for part of this week, and then we have another girl who will take care of her Thursday & Friday.  This weekend we'll be on our own and then Heather will come back next week to help out more.  Also, my mom may fly out earlier (she is due to arrive 2/22 as is) to help us as well.  She's in Wisconsin right now where the high temp of the day is 8 degrees!  One would think she would be chomping at the bit to get out here to San Diego--supposed to be 70 degrees here tomorrow!  :)   (Just a little guilt trip from your bed-ridden daughter).  Also, other friends here have offered to help us out when needed, walk Kyla, take Chloë for play dates, etc.  I don't know how we would manage it without our great friends and family.  Thank you all so much for the messages, calls, and prayers!  I love the emails-- helps keep me entertained during my days!

On a happy side note, CONGRATS to my cousin Michelle and her hubby Rob on the arrival of their baby boy early this morning!  Welcome Baby Robert!

No comments:

Post a Comment