Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Freedom Bells are Ringing!!

I had an appointment today at my doctor's office- however, my doctor was out of town this week for a medical conference in NYC where he was giving a talk on twins (he's the multiples expert at UCSD).  So I met with one of his partners, Dr. Ramos.  She's also a high-risk OB, but she doesn't specialize in multiples like he does.  When we got there we went through all the normal steps like getting weighed (I didn't look-it has become too depressing), having blood pressure taken (it was beautiful), and then I figured they would check the cervical length--but NO!, the nurse told me that after 32 weeks they no longer check the cervix!  Myke and I were definitely surprised as we have gotten used to having it measured so often.  I guess after 32 weeks it doesn't really matter what it's measuring, if they are coming, they are coming and at this point the doctors feel confident that the babies will be okay!  Such great news!  I've officially entered the "safe zone" and I couldn't be more relieved!  Of course 33 weeks (where I'm at this week) is still premature, but knowing the the doctors are no longer really concerned about a delivery at this point just takes a lot of weight off our shoulders.

I had a list of questions for Dr. Ramos, including asking if I could get my hair cut (it hasn't been touched since early December and could use a touch up!), and she said that was definitely no problem.  She went on to say that she didn't feel that I needed to be confined to my bed or the couch any longer!  I was SO THRILLED to hear these words!  I looked at Myke and said "Did you hear that?!?!".  I had to make sure he heard the good news, too, and that we were hearing the same thing!  My bed rest restrictions have been lifted!!!!  I was so excited I could have peed my pants (but didn't, in case you wondered).

Dr. Ramos went on to say that starting at 34 weeks she felt I could start taking short walks around the block and could start really adding more activity back into my life.  As for this week, I can go get my hair cut, I can walk more around the house, I can lift light hand weights if I want to (which would probably be a great idea since I'll need to build up strength to lift two infants soon), I can go on small shopping trips if I use the motorized scooter that the store provides (Target, here I come!), I can go out to dinner as long as it requires minimal walking, etc.  Wow!

Excitement aside, I know I have to be careful not to overdue it.  I was exhausted the entire day after the baby shower on Sunday, when I am up and about for even 5 minutes I feel extreme heaviness and pressure in my belly and my ankles hurt from carrying my weight, I still can't lift Chloë, I still can't bend over to give her a bath or to pick up something if I drop it, etc.  I'm not going to just snap back to "normal" after 10 weeks of bed rest and an added 40 pounds on my frame.  However, every little bit of activity I can do will probably help to get my system a little more into shape and build my muscles a little bit more up so I can not be a blob of jello at the end of all of this.

Oh, and as for the babies--they look great on the ultrasound.  Good heartbeats, adequate pockets of fluid, but both are transverse.  They are in a yin and yang configuration (see above).

That's all for now!

33 weeks 2 days (taken this morning)

33 weeks with Chloë pregnancy 

38 weeks with Chloë pregnancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment