Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Back in L&D

Back in the hospital :(

Boo hiss.

I had my regularly-scheduled DR appt this morning.  Babies looked good on the ultrasounds--good heart rates and good fluid levels.  However, the cervix has shortened again.  It has gone down another centimeter in the past two weeks and is now 5 or 6mm (that's a 1/2 cm for all the non-metric folks).  Very short.  Dr sent me to hospital for monitoring and for another round of steroid shots for the babies lungs.  You can only do the series of shots twice so this will be my last round.

I've been in the hospital since noon so for almost 8 hours at this point.  I spent most of the afternoon on the monitors (was having contractions every 5 minutes when I came in--but I couldn't really tell--they let me know that after seeing it on the monitor) and on an IV drip for hydration.  They just let me get unhooked form all of that about 20 minutes ago--so freeing!  Yay!!

So I'll be here at least for 48 hours so I can get the next steroid shot and then have one more ultrasound before they HOPEFULLY let me go back home.  I guess if the cervix remains "stable" and doesn't get shorter over the next 2 days they will let me go back on bed rest at home.  There isn't really anything extra they would be able to do for me here.  When my body goes into labor it will just go into labor...whether I'm here or at home.  So that is that.  And here I am.  Blah!

My mom, Myke & Chloë came to visit and brought pizza for dinner.  Apparently, as they were walking into the hospital Chloë said "Mommy's house"!!  Does she think I live here?  I've only been here 8 hours!  Oh, man!  It was great to see them though--and nice to get non-hospital food!

So, the longer they babies stay in, the better.  Duh.  I'm not nearly as concerned this time around as I was about 6 weeks ago when I was first admitted for shortened cervix.  It's an entirely different ball game and prognosis for babies of this gestational age.  

Next goal is now 32 weeks!  The goal of going to eat dinner at the table at 30 weeks is now out the window.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear you're back in the hospital. But it sounds like wonderfully careful care you're getting. I've been so impressed with how upbeat and positive you've been able to be through all this. Hang in there. Thinking of you. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete