Thursday, May 19, 2011

Our Boys Are Here!!

Owen & Eli (2 days old)



A quick update while I seem to have caught a free few minutes and while the hospital's internet connections seems to be relatively stable.  The C-section was scheduled for Monday morning at 9am.  We arrived at 7am to check in and then the LONG wait began.  They had me all prepped and ready for surgery when I was suddenly bumped back by a woman whose labor had stalled.  They have two operating rooms for L&D and they always have to have one open.  So this woman got put in front of me in line to use the open one.  I was then told that I would probably be in there by 10:30am instead of 9am.  Anyways, to make a loooong story (and morning) short, the woman ended up having a rough C-section and took extra long.  I didn't end up going in the OR until nearly 1pm.  It was difficult waiting around --a lot of anticipation - but I'm sure it was worse for the poor woman who was having the difficult C-section.

The C-section itself wasn't as bad as I had imagined.  It was all very surreal.  I didn't feel a thing and before I knew it our two beautiful boys were born.  Owen Gustave Hines arrived first at 1:50pm and Elijah Thomas Hines arrived at 1:51pm.  Gustave and Thomas are both family names.  Owen was the smaller of the two, weighing in at 5lb 7oz and 19inches long.  Elijah weighed 6lb 5oz and was 20.47inches.  Due to Owen's weight being JUST under weight you must be to avoid NICU observation, he was taken to the baby nursery just to make sure he could maintain his own body temperature.  He passed all tests with flying colors.  Myke was able to go in there and spend time with him and once I was out of recovery they wheeled me in there to see him as well.

We are now up on the 4th floor maternity ward in a special DOUBLE room!  Wooo!!  Myke and I each have our own beds a lot of space.  It's great!  At UCSD they have the babies room right in with you, which is nice...but also gives you little sleep time.  So the nurses have been really nice and taken the babies and hung out with them at the nurse station between feedings to let us get some shut-eye.  We actually feel less tired and overwhelmed than we did when we had Chloë two years ago.



The boys are both doing great, they are eating well, maintaining their weights (after both dropping down the first day).  All they do right now is eat, sleep and poop.  I know the real fun comes when you get home and they stop being so sleepy!  Then the insanity will start!

Chloë has come to visit each night so far and just loves her baby brothers.  She can't wait to hold them.  Last night she literally kicked me out of my bed so she could sit there with Owen.  "Mommy, go!".  She calls them "my babies".  We are planning on being discharged tomorrow but only time will tell.  There are still a few things they need done:  a vaccination, hearing tests, etc.

My three babies!





I'm recovering well from the C-section - keeping up on my pain meds and able to walk around without too much discomfort.

Teeny tiny Owen 


Well, feeding time is here again so I must close!

Thanks to all who sent us prayers, well-wishes, etc!  We feel very blessed to have these little guys and I couldn't be more in love with them!  


Grandpa and Eli



Owen

Mykes hand and Owen

1 comment: