Saturday, May 14, 2011

Life Just Isn't Fair...

And here's why:

I had to have a root canal done this morning!!  Just 48 hours before my C-section!



So two days ago one of my teeth started hurting a little bit out of nowhere.  I didn't think much of it since I know pregnancy can often lead to sore gums or teeth.  I took some Tylenol and that seemed to take the edge off.  Yesterday it was barely noticeable, I didn't take a Tylenol until late afternoon, but then at night I noticed that it seemed to get worse when I would lay down.   This morning (Saturday) I woke up planning to enjoy our last weekend, the "calm before the storm" so to speak, relaxing with the fam but I quickly realized that my tooth had other plans for me.  The pain had gotten worse overnight and now the tooth hurt if I even lightly touched it with my tongue or finger.  I took some more Tylenol but when that didn't seem to help much I decided to call around looking for a dentist since I knew the one we regularly use isn't open on the weekends.   I just thought it would give me peace of mind to have a dentist at least look at the tooth.  Maybe it needed a small filling.  Yah, no one likes to work on weekends apparently!
After no luck calling about 8 dental offices in the area I just decided to let it go. Myke reminded me that I would be given painkillers for the C-section on Monday and if I could just last until then I could forget about it for a bit.  It wasn't unbearable by any means, but it was uncomfortable.  I was also a bit nervous to just let it go in case something serious was going on.  The last thing I needed was to be stuck in the hospital with a major tooth issue, a C-section surgery that I'm trying to recover from, AND two new infants.  I would have to possibly wait an entire week to see a dentist.  It looked like it was going to be going down that road, however, since I couldn't find an open dentist, so I decided to try to grin and bear it and attempt to enjoy the rest of the weekend.

My mom and I headed out to do a few errands and on our way out of Pacific Beach passed by a new dental practice a few blocks from my house.  It looked like the lights were on and there was a huge banner advertising their prices outside and the dentist's name and phone number.  I quickly pulled over and decided to give the number a call.  Sure enough, they were open ....AND they could see me right away!  I was stoked.  I just wanted someone to look at it so I could move on and focus on Monday instead of my tooth pain.  To make a long story short (I know I can ramble!) I had a quick X-ray done (which is apparently fine during the 3rd trimester) only to find that this tooth was starting an infection in the root!  The dentist was dentist was a really nice, charismatic guy who made me feel immediately at ease, BUT nothing could have prepared me for the news that my tooth needed a root canal.  The options were to either do one right there or to go on antibiotics (after Monday) until I was able to get the work done.  I've had one other root canal in my life (and thank God I have had one before or I would have been freaking out at the idea of it--root canals get a bad rep!) and I had to be referred to an endodontist for the treatment (my dentist doesn't do root canals) AND it cost us something like $800 since we don't have dental insurance.  This dentist, however, could do the procedure right then and there AND it would only cost $190.  I went for it (after a quick Google session on my iPhone to make sure this was a legit guy running this practice).    I'm SO glad I had it taken care of....and I think I found a new dentist for Myke and myself.  Not many people would say their root canal was a great experience--but the entire thing was basically painless and was done in 15 minutes (it was a small infection).   Now my tooth is pain-free and I can focus once again on the bigger and better things in life: the two boys who are supposed to be born in something like 34 hours!

Root Canal Saturday.  C-section Monday.  Let's hope Sunday is more uneventful!

1 comment:

  1. Crazy!
    Can't believe it. Glad you found a dentist you love! That has been one of the hardest trials for me. I found one here that I love too.

    ReplyDelete