Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Been an emotional past week or so.  Last Tuesday we heard the news that my uncle Brian (husband of my mother's younger sister, Debbie) passed away after a battle with cancer.  He was only 57.  Just a few days later I found myself on a flight to the midwest to be there for the funeral and a "Celebration of Life" gathering at my aunt's farmhouse out in rural Illinois.  Myke wanted to join me on the trip but we were unable to find care for the kiddos (one of the downsides of not living near family) and definitely knew that taking all 4 of them was out of the question.  So I went alone, and I'm so glad that I went, even though I was literally there for only 36 hours.  It was a beautiful and emotional service but it was great to be in the presence of all my extended family (most of whom I hadn't seen since my grandmother's funeral exactly two years ago this month...sadly, that was the last time I had been back to that area).  All of my mom's seven siblings were there, cousins, etc.  It was like being able to go to a family reunion, but, unfortunately, for such a sad reason.  There was great comfort, however, sitting there among them all, comfort that I hope my Aunt Debbie and cousins Alex and Cam felt as well.  Uncle Brian's passing is a great loss.  He was a wonderful man and will be missed by many.  I'm so glad he and Debbie made the trip out to visit us this past March and that we had that time with them.  I'm thinking of Debbie and the boys every day, hoping they are getting by and doing okay.

Debbie & Brian on their visit this past Feb/March


Lunch in Pacific Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment