Monday, February 11, 2013

Still No Sign of Baby Hines #4!

Chloe with her baby belly

Nothing yet!  I'm not good at waiting but at least I have so much going on to keep me busy that I don't have time to notice it ("it" being the wait) most of the time.  Believe me, it never gets boring here at the Hines' household!  The latest big event is that Myke's mom stepped in an odd way on our stairs, slipped, and ended up breaking her ankle in two places on Saturday night!  She didn't even seem to be in too much pain when it happened so we were shocked to learn that there were multiple breaks.  Thom (my father-in-law) drove her to the ER that evening and we haven't seen her since!  They did X-rays, then had to put her under anesthesia while they set the bones, then yesterday (Sunday) she had surgery in the afternoon to place some pins or a plate in the ankle.  She stayed overnight last night, too, and we're hoping she gets to come back later today but are waiting to hear what the doctor says this morning.  

Thom is calling us "Patient 1" and "Patient 2".  Nothing is going on with this patient.  I'm still scheduled for having my water broken on Wednesday morning.  I guess this is considered induction?? Though they didn't mention putting me on any medicines to start labor...hopefully, I won't need that but we'll see.  I'll be 41 weeks on Wednesday.  That's long enough wait for me.  I've had a natural birth with not one ounce of pain medication where you feel EVERYTHING (Chloe) then a scheduled C-section eviction with the boys where you feel NOTHING (until the numbness wears off after the procedure), so now this time I'll get to try the planned, non-C-section route I guess (unless I go into labor on my own in the next 48 hours..which I guess could happen...but I really have no signs of it).  I'm attempting a VBAC this time and hoping to avoid the recovery time involved with a C-section.  Apparently, the longer a pregnancy goes, the more risky VBACs become.  However, overall they are safe and apparently I'm a "good candidate" for a successful one, given my history.  We'll see what happens.  We all know that I'm not the one in control here.  

Oh, and our house just got a little more full.  We called in the back-up help after not being sure how Maureen would be post-surgery and not being sure how long she would be out-of-commission.  So my mom flew back in last night (from Las Vegas where she was visiting her sister, so she wasn't too far away) to help us out.  Otherwise, Thom would have had 3 small children and a wife to take care of on his own while we go to the hospital.  That would have been pretty difficult with the boys still being so little, needing diaper changes, both boys having colds right now, Chloë's preschool schedule, her gymnastics class, meals, cleaning, and not to mention our poor, neglected dog who needs to be taken out, too!  So an extra set of hands is a definite blessing!  And Maureen is going to be designated baby-holder, snuggler and book-reader for the kids once she returns, which will be great :)

Once we bring this baby home we'll have 5 adults and 4 children in the house for a bit!  I like that ratio!  It takes a village....

No comments:

Post a Comment