Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My Top Five List..**

Never judge someone unless you've walked a mile in their shoes.  That's one the main things I've learned to really (try to) live by since becoming a parent.  You just cannot judge someone's actions unless you're in their position...well, you CAN, but you SHOULDN'T.    There are quite a few things that I did, do,  or would consider doing that in the past I would have NEVER imagined myself allowing to happen.  All since parenthood.  Here are a few:

1. Letting my child wear Crocs...

Me Before Kids:  I hate, I'm sorry, ...STRONGLY DISLIKE those shoes called Crocs.  They are hideous.  They are the weirdest looking shoe...totally unattractive.  I would NEVER wear them or ever let anyone related to me wear them in my presence.

Now:  For the most part I still feel the same as above, HOWEVER, I'm now more accepting of them. For others.  Others being kids.  At this point, Chloë has gone through about 3 pairs in her lifetime (all gifts...thanks to my mom and Kara who gave them to her).  She loved them.  They were easy for her to slip on, hence no work on my part.  Easy.  Convenient.  Could get wet and not be ruined.  Could be worn year round, with our without socks.

This photo makes me dislike Crocs all the more...



  While we are on the topic of shoes...

2.  Let my child wear those annoying shoes that light up when they take a step.

Before Kids:  Ewww...ridiculous and annoying.  Embarrassing.  Why would anyone ever let their child wear those??

Now:  They were the ONLY way I could get Chloë to wear a sneaker that wasn't a big black velcro shoe with Cars or Spiderman on them.  They had to have something "cool" (in a toddler's eyes) or she would poo-poo them and never wear them.  So I went with the lights.  Santa brought them for her on Christmas.  She likes her shoes.  She wears them.  That's all that matters these days.  I've realized my time for choosing Chloë's style of dress and fashion expired a LONG time ago.

What?!  They make them for adults now, too?


3.  Music in the car...

Before Kids:  "When I have kids they will listen to MY music in the car.  There is no way we will be listening to nursery rhymes, Wiggles, and toddler music!  They will learn to like my music"

Now:  All we listen to is Veggie Tales songs, the Mary Poppins Soundtrack and one Baby Einstein CD. 99% of the time it's Veggie Tales that she asks for even before her seatbelt is buckled.  She can't wait to ride in the car JUST to listen to this CD.  It keeps her quiet (well, besides the singing along with the CD part...but at least she isn't asking me a million questions).  She is RARELY quiet.  This gives me time to think, breathe, focus on driving.  I love the Veggie Tales CD....but...I miss my music.  It's a trade off. 

4.  Rent a Bouncy House for a birthday party...

Before Kids:  Who does this??  People really blow all that money on a kid's birthday party??  Ridiculous.  People love to show off and flash their money out here.  

Now:  Bring on the bouncy house!  I love a bouncy house!  Okay, we have actually never rented on (yet) for Chloë's birthdays, but I wouldn't say it won't ever happen.  Here in San Diego you see them ALL the time at birthday parties.  It's probably more common to have one than to not have one at your kid's party.  Back on the east coast (and maybe times have a'changed) but if you had a bouncy house at your party you were probably made of moo-la$$.  It would have been considered pretty show-off-y and over-the-top I would think.  Here, like I said, it's the norm.  Your average Joe rents a bouncy house for their average kid's party.  There are so many competing party rental companies out there that it keeps the cost down.  And with the option to hold your birthday party outdoors pretty much year-round here, you may as well have something fun to keep the kids entertained.  

Will you be seeing one of these at Owen & Eli's 1st birthday party??
You'll have to come to find out!!


5.  Wear Sweatpants...

Before Kids:  I don't like sweatpants that much-- they are only for running or going to the gym.  Too many moms just "let themselves go" and don't even TRY anymore to look decent during the day.  'Nuf said.  

Now:   But mine are yoga pants!  There's a difference, dammit!  (and besides, they are comfortable and I'm up and down off the floor with a toddler and two infants...I need comfort and versatility..wait, why am I defending myself?  'Cuz mine are "yoga pants" not sweatpants!  Right?)


6. Let me kids watch TV...

Before Kids:  Kids should not be watching TV.  TV rots the brain.  Go outside and play.  Explore. Build.  Create.    "People use TV as a babysitter" and "that's just lazy parenting."  My kids will not watch much, if any, TV.

Now:  I do try to seriously limit Chloë's TV exposure (the boys, however are allowed 5-8 hours of TV per day.   Kidding).  Myke and I don't love TV.  I've never been a big TV person.  I don't "have a show" that I have to watch every certain day at a certain time.  Even on my 10 weeks of bed rest.  Yes, we have a huge 48 or 52 inch (?) flat screen (which is probably small by todays standards) but we rarely even watch it.  HOWEVER, when I need a break or a "babysitter" for a little bit, then I will turn on a show for Chloë.  It works great!  It's like her Veggie Tales CD..it keeps her nice and quiet for a little bit.  Did I mention that she talks a lot?  A LOT.  Like non-stop.  Sometimes even the most patient of moms (and that is not necessarily me) needs a break from the chaos that is a toddler.  A chance to breathe.  I should probably turn on the TV more often come to think of it :)  


And last, but not least....

7.  Drive a Minivan...

Before:  I've discussed this many of times...I DESPISE mini-vans.  I would NEVER in a million years drive one.  You couldn't PAY me to get one.  I will drive a huge, hard-to-park, SUV before getting a minivan if that's what it takes to fit 3 car seats, a big stroller and a large golden retriever.  

Now:  I drive a minivan.   And I actually kind of like it.  There, I said it.  The old me cringes at the new me saying it but there it is....   It works.  It does the job.  There's not a lot of EASY when it comes to having three small kids, but my car is.  It fits 3 car seats, my stroller, my dog, and even a guest (if someone else would actually ever consider getting in the car with that crew), I can get in and out of doors with an infant seat in a tight parking space (which there are many of in crowded San Diego), I can open three of the five doors with the push of a button.  It has a back-up camera....another thing I never thought I'd need but now I truly love.  Oh man, I'll stop gushing now...




Okay, I'm done.  As you can see from this list (besides the bouncy house and the TV)...at the end of the day, convenience trumps coolness.  It just is what it is!   My point is, I've really learned that you just can't judge another person unless you've walked a mile in their shoes (even if their shoes are Crocs).  :)



"Don't judge me"


(**You may have noticed that what started as my "top 5" list turned into my "top 7" by the end of my tangent....and I'm sure I could go on...)

1 comment: