Sunday, January 8, 2012

A January Hike




All three kids are napping, Myke is out running some errands, and I'm having a few minutes of peace and quiet...ahhhh...so I thought I would share some pics from our hike earlier today.  

We woke up this morning and decided that the weather looked ideal for being outdoors (surprise, surprise, right?) so we decided to pile the crew in the car and head out for a hike out east.  I chose Hollenbeck Canyon in Jamul, mainly because it's one of my favorite hiking trails that I've found here in San Diego, and also because it has wide trails and easy terrain- more ideal for a jogging stroller.  

Being out there always conjures up some crazy memories, as this is where I went into labor when I was pregnant with Chloë (almost 3 years ago!).  I think they started about a mile in from the trailhead when we were on the return portion of the hike. 

 WHY did I go hiking the day after my due date, you ask??  On a trail out in Jamul, which is a good 45 minute drive from our home and our hospital?  I have NO clue!  I must have been nuts.  However, my parents and Myke were there, too, so we were all nuts.  Not just me.  In hindsight the whole idea was absolutely insane.  At the time (in our defense), I had not had any signs of impending labor, no contractions, and was scheduled to be induced 6 days later, so I felt that I was in the clear.  Obviously not.  Anyways, going on this hike always brings back memories of that day.  I told Chloë, "You were almost born on this trail..." and then we passed a Subway store on the way home where I had stopped to use the restroom back on that fateful day, as the labor pressure had become enormous and I didn't think I could make it home at that point.  I told her, "There is the Subway where I almost gave birth to you in the bathroom.".  Myke and I laugh at this now but at the time it was pretty scary!  

Anyways, today was a beautiful day for a hike.  The scenery out there is a so gorgeous, the air was clear and refreshing, and it was peaceful and quiet, unlike where we live in the hustle bustle of San Diego.  


Hollenbeck Canyon...where it all began!


The start of the trail


The January sun peaking through the branches



Eli riding in the Bjorn




Kyla & Chloë




The "Bob Duallie" stroller




Heading back to the car

No comments:

Post a Comment