Monday, March 12, 2012

O & E's Room


The boys' room/nursery has been a long time in the making.  Until just last week we still had a queen-size guest bed in the room.  However, we quickly realized that no guests really wanted to sleep in the room with two babies (shocking, I know!) so the bed was really just sitting there taking up space as a place for Chloë to play with  her stuffed animals in the mornings.  It was time for Craigslist...  

Now, with the bed gone I've finally been able to focus on making the room look better--making it more their own place with room to play, crawl around and just hang out.  Inspired by a beautiful "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" quilt that my Aunt Diana made for Chloë for her baptism back in 2009 (thanks Aunt Diana!) I decided to go with an Eric Carle (a children's author/illustrator. Think:  The Very Hungry Caterpillar) theme for the room.  No pastels here-- just bright, bold colors.  I actually had planned this all before the boys were born (you have plenty of time to plan things like this while on bed rest) but it finally now close to being complete.  I have a couple more pictures to hang on the walls but that's about it at this point.  

Thought I'd post some photos: 


The boys love having their cribs so close together.
When we come in in the mornings they are often sitting or standing on the inside end of their crib "talking" to each other through the slats



Now babysitters won't forget who goes where!

Cribs were on sale for $45 each at IKEA last year!  Woot!
(they apparently turn into toddler beds, too)
The red carpet also from IKEA.
Can you tell I like IKEA?




The beautiful quilt from Aunt Diana hangs on the wall



Last year Pottery Barn put out a Hungry Caterpillar line for nurseries and children's bathrooms.  I was so excited when I heard about it since that was the theme I wanted to use.... and THEN I saw their prices!!  YIKES.  The crib bedding was nearly $200 and when I looked at what it included I realized: 1) Bumpers aren't safe anymore, 2) these IKEA cribs can't support a crib skirt and 3) who uses the puffy quilt that comes in those sets anyways?!  So basically I would be paying close to $400 for two Hungry Caterpillar sheets.  No thanks.  

They also were selling prints to hang on the wall...for $119 each!  WHaaa?!  I guess it's "Pottery Barn Kids" so that's just how things are priced there.  I found my prints on Amazon.com.  BEST DEAL EVER.  A book of 16 prints from Eric Carle books ready to be framed.  (Link posted at bottom of this entry if you're interested)   Beautiful! 














Eric Carle lovies!


The dresser/changing table
From IKEA
I LOVE this dresser and when I saw it I knew I needed it for the boys' room!  
This would be the "splurge" of the room since it was close to $300 - 
but worth it!

Picture of my parents putting it together last year:  click here!  and scroll down



Love this bold shade of blue




The reading/toy area.  
Glider chair is from Craigslist - used to be in Chloë's room.
I don't love the color for their room but I'm too busy/lazy to re-cover it.
White storage shelf and red tubs from Target.com (though in retrospect I should have gotten the white one from IKEA instead - better quality/sturdier)








Cute little piano bought on Zulily.com 
40% off original price




Musical boys





Playing together in Owen's crib






No comments:

Post a Comment