Saturday, January 17, 2015

A Diaper-Free Household?!


Check out my Minnie Mouse undies!



I almost cannot imagine it.  I've spent the past almost-six years straight changing diapers (and even more if you count my nanny-gig that I had when I first moved to San Diego!).  Six years straight.  A good chunk of those six years involved having THREE in diapers at the same time.  Chloë was just over two years old when the boys were born so she was still in diapers at that point...and then the boys were only 20 months old when Ella was born...so there ya go!

Ella, who just turned 23 months (this is the last month I can quote her age by months, in my book...though I usually say "She's almost two" or "She'll be two in February"...but why do we always speed up our kids ages like that?  I don't say "I'll be 36 in August (what?!!)" when people ask.  Then again, no one really asks me my age...they better not, right?!  Ha!  And, to add to my side-tangent, I find it pretty annoying when you ask someone their child's age and they answer in months that are greater than 24.  "He's 38 months old."  WHAT?  Really?  Come on now.  And don't make me do that kind of math right now.  Lol.  So there you have it.  24 months is the limit.  Now where was I?)...So Ella, as I was saying, is 23 months old - she'll be 2 in February ;)  - has been showing signs of being ready for the potty for awhile now.  She was 16 months old when we did the potty training boot camp with the boys so she was quite aware and taking it all in at that point.  She still starts clapping for me when I come out of the bathroom.  There was a lot of clapping/cheering/stickers/treats during the long 3-day-train-the-twins long weekend.  Did I mention it was loooong?

Anyways, I just realized that I don't want to write all about potties and diapers for entire post...and you don't really want to read about it, either.  Then again, as I said before..SIX YEARS of my life.  Maybe I don't have anything else to talk about.  Sad.  Sad, but (mostly) true.

So today I came home from working out to find the large area rug rolled up and stored away and Ella running around without pants on.  Myke decided to go for it.  I wasn't mentally prepared for this...not the diaper-free-household-intended-outcome ...but the having to keep my eye closely on Ella all day to catch accidents.  However, she's sat on the potty probably 10 times today.  So far has only gotten herself wet once or twice (and only slightly) and even pooped on the potty.  On her own.

Oh man, why am I writing about this?  It's just so life-consuming.  Four kids is life-consuming, what am I talking about?  The best thing about Ella being the youngest is that all three of the older ones are very actively involved in the process and super-excited when Ella has a "success".  Everyone runs to the bathroom and cheers and hoots & hollers for Ella.  Imagine all 6 of us celebrating in a small bathroom.  Chloë grabs the stickers so Ella can put one of her reward chart, Owen gives Ella big hugs, and Eli burst into tears if he misses "seeing the pee-pee" before it's flushed.

Potty training is not necessarily a fun thing..BUT seeing the kids all involved and supporting their little sister and cheering her own is fun to watch...Not to mention the idea of not having to buy diapers, change diapers, etc sounds so WONDERFUL!!!   We aren't THERE yet...but we're on our way!


Water colors


Brothers :)


Ella and a kangaroo named "Brisbane"

No comments:

Post a Comment