Friday, May 16, 2014

WildFires in May?!?!

Been an interesting week here in Southern California.  Everyone has obviously heard about the wildfires that we are experiencing here over the past few days.  Interestingly, I was informed of the fires via Facebook...sign of the times... maybe I need to "Look Up" (have you seen that viral video yet?)  Anyways,  I was sitting browsing through the newsfeed on my phone for a second (in a rare  "no-one-is-needing-me-urgently" moment in time) and saw that my next-door neighbor had posted a photo of our backyards (taken from her 2nd story deck) on her page.  I was confused for a second until I looked at the top of the photo and saw black billowing smoke in the distance.  Woah!  I ran upstairs to take a look off our deck...and sure enough, smoke was billowing up in the distance.  Definitely a HUGE fire.  Things took off from there with the fires getting bigger and starting up in different areas later in the day, as well.  After self-evacuating for a couple hours (we drove down south to Del Mar for lunch...JUST in case), we headed back to Encinitas an spent most of Wednesday glued to the TV whenever the kids weren't around.  The Carlsbad fire was just a couple miles north of our house and the "Cocos Fire" was about 5 miles or so east.  We were lucky to be in the clear.  The air has been really smokey and there is ash everywhere, but hoping the cooler temperatures and on-shore winds will help the firefighters to get everything contained.  They are truly heroes, out there fighting the blaze in these record high temperatures.  I can't even imagine.

On a happier note, today is Owen & Elijah's 3rd birthday!   Myke and I CAN believe they are three.  In fact, we are surprised they aren't older.  We feel like they should be at least 4 by now.  I hardly can remember life without them around!  They are the sweetest little boys.  I'm really looking forward to our trip to California Adventure next week, which is what we're doing for their birthday this year.  It will be JUST Myke, myself and the boys.  We will really get to have quality time with just them (with NEVER happens...never.. :(  ) and just spoil them and enjoy them.  My parents are in town and are going to stay home with the girls.   We had originally planned to go one day this week but ended up changing it due to the forecast of ridiculously hot temps.  I'm glad we did because the day we had planned to go ended up being over 100 degrees at the Disney parks!  Yuck!  At this point we are planning to go next Tuesday and the are forecasting 73 degrees as the high for that day.  Yay!

Well, the older kids are on their way home from preschool so I better get going!

\
San Marcos ("Cocos fire") in to the east
View from our upstairs balcony


Carlsbad fire- Wednesday




Ash on my car


Thursday the fires flared up again in the "Cocos Fire"
View from the parking lot of a store I went to



the kids playing with Grandpa


Peanut butter & apple slices- Grandpa's favorite snack!
The kids love it, too!






AND...just to end on a COOL note, here is a photo from our trip to the Legoland water park last week before my parents arrived.  Ahhhhh!



No comments:

Post a Comment