Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Owen & Eli's First Dentist Visit

Photo with Dr. Doug


The boys had their very first dentist appointment today.  Our pediatrician says they need to go when they turn one (oops) and Myke and my dentist said they didn't need to go until they were three... so we met in the middle and went when they were (almost) two.  Sounds like a good compromise to me!

Yah, they HATED it.  Of course I knew they would hate it.  The boys are much more timid than Chloë ever was and they are pretty hesitant around new people...especially new people that try to stick their fingers and all kinds of metal instruments in their mouths.  Another reason I KNEW they would hate the dentist visit is because of how much they hated their 18-month doctor visit.  That was a NIGHTMARE!!  It was last fall and I took them by myself.  BIG mistake.  They were fine in the waiting room, walking around, reading books, checking out the huge fish tank.  However, when the (male) nurse opened the door and called their names, the fun began.  Eli and I walked through the door to the back area while the nurse held it open.  Once we were through I looked back to see if Owen was following me.  He was not.  He had sat down on the floor where he had just been standing, eyes wide, staring at the (male) nurse like a deer in headlights.  He REFUSED to walk by the nurse to go through the door...even though I was right there next to the nurse.   He was frozen in fear.  For NO reason that I could figure out.  So I had to go back through the door and scoop him up.  The nurse took us the exam room where he went to get quick temps from the boys (they just touch the pad of the thermometer to the forehead--nothing invasive at all). The boys SCREAMED like they were being murdered.  Oh man, I knew it was going to be a long morning.  Next we had to take them down the hall (wearing just diapers) to get on the scale and to get measured for length.  The boys were absolutely hysterical and flailing all over.  I was 6 months pregnant with Ella and trying to hold on to two boys who wouldn't go near anyone else, let alone go near the scale.  The nurse wasn't the most assertive--I needed him to just grab one of the boys and force him on the scale...but he just kind of looked at me and seemed to want me to get one of the boys on the scale myself.  Pretty impossible for a person to get one 25lb monkey to unclasp their arms and legs from your body while holding another 25lb monkey clasping just as tightly on your other side.  Especially when both monkeys are squealing in fear.  No, the nurse was not much help at all.  I think he was scared and reconsidering the field of pediatric nursing.  It was THAT bad.  Finally, another nurse (who seemed older and more experienced) rushed in and the two nurses together got one of the boys on the scale and pinned him down to get the length.  The screaming was ear-peircing and I'm sure everyone on the floor could hear it.  I was vowing in my head NEVER to bring them to a doctor appt by myself again.  After we FINALLY got their weights and lengths..at least estimates, as I'm sure they weren't accurate...we headed back to the exam room, both of them clinging to me tighter than ever with tears streaming down their cheeks.  The nurse told us the doctor would be there in a few minutes and closed the door and left.   I gave the boys snack cups and they marched around the room singing and dancing...they were happy as clams.  
After the traumatic weigh-in
"Snacks make us happy!"


Anyways, as I sat there watching them happily eat their snacks I began to fear another part of the appointment...the shots!  How would I get through this??!  However, when the doctor did come in she told us that they were up-to-date on all their shots and they didn't need any until they turned two.  I was on CLOUD 9 hearing that!!  Aaaaaaahhhhh!!   

Oh, so back to the dentist today...The story above was from nearly 6 months ago.  But I knew they would be scared...so I made Myke join me on the adventure.  I had learned my lesson.  Ella was with us, as well and Chloë was in preschool.  The boys (of course) freaked out when they were made to lay down on the exam chairs.  Even the TVs on the ceiling didn't help.  Myke held Eli down while the hygienist brushed and flossed him and I held down Owen.  They both went at the same time, which was good.  We were the only family there, which was also good.  No one else to witness the terror.  The brushing and flossing was done in literally 1 minute. Then the dentist came in and took a look at both of their mouths.  They screamed through that as well.  Then they were fine.  Overall, it was fine.  It was quick and to the point and we couldn't be happier with Dr. Doug Warner.  He's awesome.  He's awesome but I'm glad I don't have to bring the boys back to him for six more months!

Well, I just scheduled their 2-year-old doctor appointment for next month.  Myke will be taking them this time!!  Or at least joining me on the adventure.  Sighhhh.

2 comments:

  1. Some kids are not comfortable on their first few visits to the dentist. Your boys are still young. I'm sure that in time, and with your support, they'll adjust properly. This will all lead to their overall good dental health, so it's all worth the effort.

    -Janelle Forman

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Janelle! Kids will eventually overcome their fear as they grow up. For now, just keep a tight watch on their hygiene and their dental health so you won't need to visit the dentist as often. Well, good luck on your kids!:) Bettye Primm

    ReplyDelete