Thursday, May 30, 2013

My First Experience...

....in the overwhelmingly pink and frilly "GIRL" aisles at Toys R Us....happened today!!

It really felt so bizarre and so "not right", if that makes any sense.  Probably doesn't.  Or maybe it does?  If you know Chloë well then it makes sense.

Chloë got a gift card to Toys R Us last Christmas from my brother (thanks, Uncle Hale!) and, because I'm so lazy/busy (you decide, but I prefer to think the latter) we just now got around to printing it out and using it.  I even had to do a pretty extensive search in my email to even find the gift card it has been so long since he sent it...obviously, last December.  (On a side note, my brother lives in Chile, so sending gift cards via email is the only way to go.  Actually, email in general is the only way to go.  I'm still waiting for him to receive our Christmas card that I mailed to him.  I guess it's lost in the great unknown at this point!).

Anyways, back to my point.  My mom and I decided to have a "girls day out" today with Chloë and Ella today while the sitter watched the boys.  Chloë needed some special time that was just for her (as Ella just goes along for the rides at this point).  We started with breakfast at a beach cafe, then walked around the Self-Realization Center gardens in Encinitas (beautiful!), and finally headed to Toys R Us for Chloë to pick out her belated Christmas present.  I allowed her to pick any toy she wanted (obviously within the limits of the gift card) and she picked MY LITTLE PONIES!!

 For those who know my 4-year-old daughter...this is a bit of a shock!  Did I mention that we just had a Batman birthday party for her a few months back?  Did I mention that this girl refuses to wear skirts, hair clips, ponytails, or anything remotely cute?  We have 4 kids but if you look through their tubs of toys or in their rooms, you won't find many things that are considered "girly" toys.  If we are at toy stores I'm used to being in the aisles with superhero figurines, pirates, or Matchbox cars.  It just felt so ODD to be in the pink aisles.  Don't get me wrong, I like that Chloë isn't all girly-girl & princess-y to some extent...a pretty great extent...BUT there are some times when I'd love to dress her up or play with her hair...but that doesn't/won't happen without a fight and probably tears if I tried to force her.  So I don't.  She is who she is and she likes what she likes (and she KNOWS what she likes and doesn't like and she lets you KNOW what she likes and doesn't like).  She's a very strong-willed little girl.

Anyways, back to my story (again).  Today we were in the pink aisles.  Today we went home with a My Little Pony set.  And not just any My Little Pony set.  A My Little Pony Wedding set.  It came with a castle and a bride and groom pony.  Then when we got home we had to watch the My Little Pony wedding episode (again) that featured the pony figurines that came with the set.  She's been playing with the set all afternoon and into the evening.  Who is this child??



What she picked



Other Pics from Today:

Swami's Beach Cafe on Highway 101


breakfast


Pancake Yummyness


Beautiful ocean views


Gramma and Ella


Surf-crossing


More ocean views from way up above





Ella 


















No comments:

Post a Comment